Thursday, February 12, 2009

At site for a month now

So I've been at site for a month now and I bet that since I have not posted a blog post in say 3 months, people back home are wondering what its like for me so here goes.

Currently, I am serving in Central Province in small town. I am teaching basic computer skills to community members. I am teaching M.S. Office - Word, Excel, PPT, Access -typing skills, how to use a computer, the basics of a computer, the Internet, and e-mail.

This is a sample day in my current life as a Peace Corps Volunteer:
I woke up at 6 am to have breakfast and leave my house by 7am. I walk to work and arrive at the National Irrigation Board compound before 8. I then prepare my lesson for the day. I teach from about 9am until I am finished lecturing on the topic for the day. After that, I let the students practice on the computers we have available.
Somewhere in between 11am and 12 noon I walk to eat lunch. Lunch is about a 15-20 minute walk and is usually comprised of beans, cabbage, some potato and meat pieces, and a side of chapati (it's like a tortilla, but better - look it up on Wikipedia), and a soda.
After lunch, I return to the office and teach once again at 2pm. The same lesson is given to a different group of students. Then I study Kiswahili and at 5pm my tutor comes to work with me until 6pm. Around 6pm, after the language lesson, I walk home and rest for the next day.

As it stands now, I have bought a bike but have been unsuccessful in my learning to ride as the road to/from work and town (in opposite directions) is composed of rocks and dirt which is not conducive to my learning to ride a bike. Plus the road is very very busy most of the time.

6 comments:

  1. What the heck is with the pink bro? Don't be talkin' 'bout my "lameness" on Facebook if you're going to splash pink all over the internet. :) Sounds like you're keeping yourself busy. Don't give up on the bike!
    Superman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you're finally online with the rest of us! Welcome!

    Harmony :-)

    www.kenyarising.com <<<--gratuitous plug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh noes! Its pink?!?!?!?!?!
    Go figure... I should have used a computer monitor that actually displayed color correctly before selecting this "theme".
    Mistake easily corrected, Sorry to Danielle. And Superman still deserves the diss for the questionnaires!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Good to hear you're settled and doing well. Don't hurt yourself on the bike, but you know, if you learn to ride it, you can likely sleep in longer... ;)

    -jake

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where's my wildebeest?

    ReplyDelete